The gluteus minimus is a fan-shaped muscles which lies deep to the gluteus medius muscle.
The gluteal region consists of two groups of muscles:
- Deep group: small muscles which mainly laterally rotate the femur at the hip joint. These include the piriformis, obturator internus, gemellus superior, gemellus inferior, and quadratus femoris.
- Superficial group: larger muscles which cause abduction and extension of the femur at the hip joint. These include the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimis and the tensor fascia latae.
- Dorsal ilium between inferior and anterior gluteal lines
- Edge of greater sciatic notch
- Anterior surface of greater trochanter
- Abducts hip
- Medially rotates hip
- Superior gluteal nerve: L4,L5,S1
- Superior gluteal artery