The iliacus is one of three muscles which originate from the lumbar vertebral column. The other two muscles are the psoas major and the iliacus.
The psoas major and iliacus join together to insert on the femur and are often considered as a functional unit known collectively as the 'iliopsoas'.
- Upper 2/3 of illiac fossa
- Anterior sacroilliac ligament
- Iliolumbar ligament
- Lesser trochanter of femur
- Flexion of hip
- Muscular branch of femoral nerve (L2, L3)
- Lumbar branch of iliolumbar artery