The supraspinatus muscle is one of the rotator cuff muscles which arises from the supraspinous fossa (above the spine of the scapula). Its muscle fibres converge to form a thin tendon which passes beneath the acromion process attaching to the superior facet on the greater tubercle of the humerus.
- Supraspinous fossa of scapula
- Greater tubercle of humerus (superior facet)
- Initiates and assists in shoulder abduction
- Assists in stabilisation of glenohumeral joint
- Suprascapular nerve: C5, 6
- Suprascapular artery